Game jams!

SoniEx2

Game jams!

Post by SoniEx2 »

Have you done a game jam? Have you jammed a game in places it wasn't supposed to go? What was it like? :p
"it" instead of "you" (e.g. "what is it up to?", instead of "what are you up to?"). HRT: FINALLY ;-;
BoringKate
Site Admin

Post by BoringKate »

One time I jammed a wiimote (wrapped in a condom) into my butthole. It was alright.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Just spent the better part of 2 days re-setting up a bunch of models from Blender into a new game engine placing them into a level, and writing shaders for them and then lighting everything. I'm half asleep with half a level to show for it. How the hell do people pump out games in 3 days? It takes me 3 days to decide on variable naming conventions. :shock: :? :?: :?: :?:

umm.. what about a RUMBLE PACK? :mrgreen:
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE: __OK__
SoniEx2

Post by SoniEx2 »

BoringKate wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:44 pm One time I jammed a wiimote (wrapped in a condom) into my butthole. It was alright.
ohhh. uh hey that sounds a bit risky, we hope you were wearing the wrist strap? XD
Dawn666 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:17 pm How the hell do people pump out games in 3 days?
we don't. it took us a week to make (and test) an extremely, extremely sloppy minecraft mod. luckily nobody seems to have complained so far, at least, so that's a plus, it means we didn't completely fuck it up. :p
"it" instead of "you" (e.g. "what is it up to?", instead of "what are you up to?"). HRT: FINALLY ;-;
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

SoniEx2 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:07 pm ohhh. uh hey that sounds a bit risky, we hope you were wearing the wrist strap? XD
Careful, someone from UbiSoft will see this and they'll release a new version of 'Just Dance'.
Dawn666 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:17 pm we don't. it took us a week to make (and test) an extremely, extremely sloppy minecraft mod. luckily nobody seems to have complained so far, at least, so that's a plus, it means we didn't completely fuck it up. :p
Have you seen all those 'I made [TRIPLE A GAME] in 5 days' videos on youtube? We must all be doing it wrong.
Domitilla

Post by Domitilla »

Never jammed a game in a place it wasn't supposed to go, but I have participated in game jams. I'm pretty proud of one of the games I made for a jam called Wired (playable link). It's just a basic platformer but I think I did a good job with it!

FYI it's under the online name I used before I realized I was trans. It's only been like a week since then so most of my stuff is under that name. I'm not out yet, so please use my other username on other sites (and don't use my other username here if you can help it, it's extremely easy to search (and oh god there's some old stuff you can find with it)).
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Domitilla wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:04 am Never jammed a game in a place it wasn't supposed to go, but I have participated in game jams. I'm pretty proud of one of the games I made for a jam called Wired (playable link). It's just a basic platformer but I think I did a good job with it!
I like it. But the deceleration on the movement combined with the pixel perfect requirement to line up with the intractable things is giving me such a hard time playing it. Having the intractable box animation look and play at the same speed as the sparks particle makes things hard to judge too. I think it would be a lot more playable if you made the interaction distance a little more forgiving and inline with the 'slowing to a stop' distance on the character. It's taking me so many tries just to pick the wire ends up.

I'm stumped on the third screen.

((okay, got that one opened. I learned I could plug 2 wires into each thing. Now I have to route power back into the previous level!?))

omg, got it. That last boss!

Domitilla

Post by Domitilla »

Dawn666 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:11 am
Domitilla wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:04 am Never jammed a game in a place it wasn't supposed to go, but I have participated in game jams. I'm pretty proud of one of the games I made for a jam called Wired (playable link). It's just a basic platformer but I think I did a good job with it!
I like it. But the deceleration on the movement combined with the pixel perfect requirement to line up with the intractable things is giving me such a hard time playing it. Having the intractable box animation look and play at the same speed as the sparks particle makes things hard to judge too. I think it would be a lot more playable if you made the interaction distance a little more forgiving and inline with the 'slowing to a stop' distance on the character. It's taking me so many tries just to pick the wire ends up.
I definitely didn't make the movement forgiving enough. I've actually get a build of the game that improves on this, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it and getting it working on itch.
I'm stumped on the third screen.

((okay, got that one opened. I learned I could plug 2 wires into each thing. Now I have to route power back into the previous level!?))
This one was meant to be hard! I wanted to make people realize they could move the entire wire, since up to that point none of the puzzles forced you to move the entire wire. The unreleased build of the game adds another screen that tries to teach this stuff a bit more gradually.
omg, got it. That last boss!
XD Thanks, this is great!
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Here, I jammed something into unreal today. :P I had to learn how to do to something in UE5, so I tried it in a new project instead of messing up my main one. It took like 6 hours to get my animation retargetting to work, so I'm burnt out on the modelling. (And I'm getting too confused, wtf is that on the wall beside the fridge?! and I assume there must be a bathroom behind the kitchen? Maybe I'll model the rest next weekend.)

Tried to learn animation retargeting, so I took a model of the boss from Ready Player dot Me, and imported it into Mixamo dot com's editor and then used UE5's IK retargeter (all 300 steps) thing to make them all work together, to very mixed results. :lol:

Domitilla

Post by Domitilla »

Getting everything to work together is half the battle sometimes! I've attempted to use Unreal Engine before, but I've always given up at trying to compile it since my computers couldn't handle the process. It would be nice if they would distribute the binaries for Linux.

In other news I've updated the game I posted earlier: https://desttinghim.itch.io/wired/devlo ... wired-v020

It should be a little easier to grab wires and flip switches now.
BoringKate
Site Admin

Post by BoringKate »

@Dawn666 OMG! I JUST SAW THAT NOW! WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also yeah the washroom and a couple closets are down the hallway to the side of the entrance. And the thing on the wall next to the fridge apparently would have originally been for an ironing board, but since nobody uses those anymore it was converted into a cupboard (I keep spices and stuff in there). Honestly really impressed by how well you put everything together just from what I've posted
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Domitilla wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:22 pm...
@Dometila Awesome! It's so much more enjoyable to play now. You did a great job on this.

This is what I was able to guess from pictures. I'm guessing the front hall isn't long enough from what you just told me. Also I think the space between the end of the bed and the opposite wall is like a meter too wide, but I need to allow for space to walk, and for the camera, etc...

https://imgur.com/5MDyeRg (vid link)

I made the avatar as close as I could with readyplayer dot me's avatar. It can easily be replaced if you can make a better one.

ok, did more work on this. now zzz time.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Domitilla wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:22 pm
Finished it again. I like how you added a new buffer screen before what used to be the third screen so the difficulty spike isn't so sudden.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

I think I hit the limit on what I can find out on my own.

Invented 2 consoles. The Katendo Bitch and the KSX. Home of the classics Mutant Sewer Girls and Lil Gun Bois.
Made a shader to animate that TV screen. Made the light switches all work. Some objects can be intractable.

Broke the space/time continuum trying to make a window glass shader. (yes, those are collectibles / pickups)

I have an idea on what to do with all this. We'll see. It's up to the boss.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Okay, got everything down structually, I think, except the back wall, and will try and make it an escape room puzzle.

https://imgur.com/a/pFd958N (vid)
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

{Posting to myself mode}
Pizza Pops for everyone! (maybe I should make the LED readout work). Also, not sure how that will help you get out of an escape room. :lol: :mrgreen:
https://i.imgur.com/wu6OQzu.mp4
BoringKate
Site Admin

Post by BoringKate »

Rad!
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

OMG this is taking so long!

Converted this to first person for a few reasons. It's so much easier to interact with things now. Especially things that are close together. And you can use a flashlight when things get dark and spooky. And it's easier to read the clues written on the walls etc...

Now I need to figure out the proper places to put the lights. I'm assuming there has to be one in the kitchen area? I also noticed there was a switch on the counter top near the microwave. Does that turn on some lights under the cupboards, or does it just control whether or not that outlet gets power?

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: https://dawn666.itch.io/the-kate-escape
RecreationalEgodeath

Post by RecreationalEgodeath »

OMG I remember Line Trap! It had a very big place in my personal development. Great game.
~~In Loving Memory~~

Check out my OnlyFans @: https://onlyfans.com/recreationalegodeath
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

:oops: I didn't realize I had left the project on restricted. Come check it out. WIP obviously.

(in motion) https://imgur.com/a/aoBYu2z
:arrow: :arrow: https://dawn666.itch.io/the-kate-escape