Retro tech

BoringKate
Site Admin

Retro tech

Post by BoringKate »

Show off all your vintage tech here!
Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine »

I think I'll start us off with a few photos of what I have.

I have lots more, but this site looks like it runs on a 56k modem and I woldn't want to overload it.
BoringKate
Site Admin

Post by BoringKate »

Rad!!!
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Nice stereo! And it's been a long time since I've seen a laser disc!
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Had to dig this up. So much dust on it, even after trying to clean it up twice.
I miss it. It was fun to make little games for it in C# too.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE: __OK__
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Dawn666 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:19 pm Had to dig this up. So much dust on it, even after trying to clean it up twice.
I miss it. It was fun to make little games for it in C# too.
Oooh! Sweet! I have a SanDisk Sansa E260 that I run Rockbox on. It still works pretty well and the little games on it (all though a bit clunky) were pretty fun!
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

I just dug it out, so here it is! The SanDisk Sansa E260. I used this thing for YEARS to play music while I work. It had great battery life, and it output music to my headphones loud enough to drown out power tools. The Rockbox custom firmware added a ton of functionality, and yes, it even plays Doom! :)

Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

omgjaxbee wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:06 pm I just dug it out, so here it is! The SanDisk Sansa E260. I used this thing for YEARS to play music while I work. It had great battery life, and it output music to my headphones loud enough to drown out power tools. The Rockbox custom firmware added a ton of functionality, and yes, it even plays Doom! :)
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE. IF YOU ORDER IN THE NEXT 15 MINUTES WE'LL THROW IN--- (If it plays DOOM you can play the level I posted in the other thread! ;))

It's got one of those 'doomed to fail' proprietary connectors too, just like my Zune. This thing is in bad shape. I opened it to see what was wrong. I think it was just the little SD card inside wore out. But the screen was doing funny things too. Like when an old DOS game crashed and you got junk all over the screen when someone POKE'd when they should have PEEK'd :P. The top panel is missing. And the main connection inside is like a shaped piece of tinfoil. It was custom made to fail.
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Yeah, those proprietary connectors on tech back then sucked so much. This was my third(?) cord that I bought for it.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Found the cable...

After spending 25 minutes trying to remember how to turn it on, the first thing it does is wipe the contents, for my convenience. wtf?

Edit: It's been over an hour. I wonder if it crashed.
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Dawn666 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:26 pm Found the cable...

After spending 25 minutes trying to remember how to turn it on, the first thing it does is wipe the contents, for my convenience. wtf?

Edit: It's been over an hour. I wonder if it crashed.
Oh! Cool! I am curious how you made out! 😊
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

omgjaxbee wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 am Oh! Cool! I am curious how you made out! 😊
It stayed on that screen for several hours until I unplugged it and put it back in the box. Since I'm sure it was the SD card in it that died, it was probably just caught in an infinite loop of trying to access it. :?

The SD microcontroller was like: Image. Over and over again all day.
ComradeLilly

Post by ComradeLilly »

Ugh I want to order a vintage ipod so badly. Actually, I want a zune but I'm not sure about how to go about adding a hard drive or otherwise upgrading the storage in one of those goes. But there's so many things I need to spend money on even for my current gen tech. Modded game boys and game gears also ring to mind, I love vintage tech that's portable :)
Add me on the fediverse! http://comradesonly.duckdns.org/fenix
phpBB sending me back <3
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

There are so many reasons not to get a Zune.

The software for it was discontinued.

They are flaky and every time you sync a file to it, it might crap out and tell you the device is full (even if you are really using 1 byte out of your X gigs). This was never fixed and you had to redo and re-sync everything all the time.

They patched out the equalizer to reclaim a few minutes of battery life per charge.

Most of the my reason for getting one was for the C# games you could write, but that has long since been discontinued.

Get anything else.
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

Does fake retro tech count? I can't run 88 MPH to see it if works. All I know is that I'm afraid to wear this in public because it's too thick and looks suspect as hell to anyone who doesn't know what it is.

The lights flash 3 times to tell the actual time. If it's 11:53 then the it will flash 11 lights, 5 lights, and 3 lights. Or you can press one of the buttons and get a random time.

omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Dawn666 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:55 am Does fake retro tech count? I can't run 88 MPH to see it if works. All I know is that I'm afraid to wear this in public because it's too thick and looks suspect as hell to anyone who doesn't know what it is.

The lights flash 3 times to tell the actual time. If it's 11:53 then the it will flash 11 lights, 5 lights, and 3 lights. Or you can press one of the buttons and get a random time.

Ooooh!! What is!?
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A FLUX CAPACITOR IS?!
ImageImage

(I'm not sure if this will image hot link)
omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Dawn666 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:51 pm YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A FLUX CAPACITOR IS?!
ImageImage

(I'm not sure if this will image hot link)
Ooooh! Very cool! I just looked up a video about it. That's super neat! 😊
Dawn666

Post by Dawn666 »

omgjaxbee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:02 am I just looked up a video about it. That's super neat! 😊
:shock: If people have to look up videos of my pop culture references (and call them neat!), I'm am officially too old. And we're the same age damnit!

omgjaxbee

Post by omgjaxbee »

Dawn666 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:46 am
omgjaxbee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:02 am I just looked up a video about it. That's super neat! 😊
:shock: If people have to look up videos of my pop culture references (and call them neat!), I'm am officially too old. And we're the same age damnit!

LOL! I knew the reference, I found a video so that I could see it in action! Also, I'm so old (literally just turned 39) that I end up missing most pop culture. 😂😭